Zero to 6
Six and Under Services (also known as Zero to 6 Services), are part of a York Region partnership program comprised of Blue Hills Child and Family Services, Kinark Child and Family Services, and The York Centre. These combined agencies have the capacity to service approximately 75 families in an intensive manner and they provide about twenty groups in the course of a year, each of which has ten to twelve participants.
The intensive program at The York Centre, provides mental health services to York Region residents who have children, six or under, with moderate to severe behavioural problems. These young children may present with coexisting difficulties such as hyperactivity, language delays or sensory integration problems.
Staff provide direct support and counselling to families in their homes or to childcare centres or kindergartens regarding the management of disruptive or disabling behaviours.
We know that by strengthening parenting skills and promoting positive early child development we can have a dramatic impact on children’s successes as they grow. Therefore, we also offer parenting groups that are targeted to very specific age groups and that address common attachment and behavioural issues.
The specific parenting groups offered through the Six and Under program are:
- Right from the Start
An 8 week program based on attachment theory and designed for parents of children from birth to 2 years. Through the use of video clips, role-playing, discussion and homework assignments, it is designed to show parents:
- how to better understand their babies and how babies communicate
- ways to enhance their relationship with their baby
- how to access other community programs
- The Incredible Years
A 12 week course for parents with children 3 to 6 years. Through the use of video clips, problem-solving in a discussion format, role-playing and homework, the course is designed to prevent, educate and help with behavioural difficulties at an early age, by increasing parents’ skills in:
- using positive communication
- setting appropriate limits
- using positive behavioural management strategies
- effectively problem solving
- Triple P for Parents of Children Zero to 6
This program aims to:
- enhance knowledge, skills, confidence, self-sufficiency and resourcefulness of parents
- promote nurturing, safe, engaging, non-violent and low-conflict environments for children
- promote children’s social and emotional wellbeing
- four 2-hour group sessions
- three 15-30 minute one-on-one follow-up phone sessions
- one final group session
Childcare services are provided when essential for parental participation.
- Psychological, Psychiatric, and Speech and Language Assessments
When needed, the Six and Under program has access to the services of a psychologist, psychiatrist, and Speech and Language Pathologist to assist in the assessment and diagnosis of children who may be struggling with difficulties in any of these areas.